Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Present Continuous


We use the present continuous...for lazing around.

Nah, just kidding ._. We use it for:


  • Actions Now: taking place at this very moment.
    • You are staring at these words 0.0
  • Temporary Actions: actions that are going on around now, but not at the actual moment of speaking).
    • I'm studying more these days. I'm lying more too. =.=
  • Frequent Actions: actions which happen very often, usually to express annoyance, irritation or anger. It is used with adverbs such as: always, constantly, continually, etc.
    • I'm constantly playing computer games when I have the time. (happens very often)
    • You're always interrupting me in the middle of a game. (expressing annoyance/irritation)
  • Planned Actions: actions that we have already arranged to do soon, especially when the time and place have been decided.
    • They're playing the finals next Tuesday. (The time has been decided.)
    • We are going to Macau in July. (The place has been decided. Lucky you.)
  • Dynamic situations: for changing or developing situations.
    • More and more species are becoming extinct.

The present continuous is used with the following time expressions:

now, at the moment, at present, these days, still, nowadays, today, tonight, etc.



Exercise 1  (10 marks)

We have listed FIVE situations where the Present Continuous may be used. Think of one sentence for each of these situations, and write them down to create a passage for yourself.


Exercise 2  (40 marks)

Fill in the blanks with the correct tense or put down an "X" if there is no change.



  1. They (dislike) _________ talking about it.
  2. They (never help) _________ me and I am sad about it.
  3. I (mean) _________ what I say, do you hear me?
  4. _________ he (come) _________ with us tonight?
  5. Children (love) _________ kittens.
  6. Why  you (not/do) _________ your homework?
  7. She (always/come) _________ to class late.
  8. Your work (check) _________ right now.
  9. We (have) _________ a party next Sunday.
  10. The shirt (fit) _________ you perfectly.
  11. The number of applicants (increase) _________ throughout the whole period.
  12. I (not see) _________ Peter tonight.
  13. She (realize) _________ everything quite clearly.
  14. We (believe) _________ this situation is temporary.
  15. You (always lose) _________ your cellular phones.
  16. I (not read) _________ any books right now. 
  17. They really (hate) _________ staying on their own.
  18. He (hear) _________ strange noises now and then.
  19. We can see that the amount of waste (reduce) _________ gradually.
  20. Which is he doing? _________ he (walk) _________ or (run) _________?
  21. I (imagine) _________ my vacation on the beach.  
  22. She (never tell) _________ the truth and it is annoying.
  23. _________ you (listen) _________ to music or can I turn it off?
  24. I (write) _________ this exercise.
  25. The situation (depend) _________ on our decision.
  26. Our washing machine (repair) _________ right now.
  27. I (not/like) _________ them because they (always complain) _________ about everything.
  28. She (visit) _________ her cousin next month.
  29. It (always/impress) _________ me greatly.
  30. The process (stabilize) _________  steadily.
  31. They (always/get) _________ up early in the morning and they like it.
  32. She is a misery guts! She (constantly complaining) _________ about the weather.
  33. The price (include) _________ service.
  34. The representatives (involve) _________ us into this project.
  35. What  you  (do) _________ here?
  36. The TV (always break) _________.
  37. They (owe) _________ us a fortune.
  38. Justin (write, currently) _________ a book about his adventures in Tibet.
  39. Usually, I (work) _________ as a secretary at ABT, but this summer I (study) _________ French at a language school in Paris. That is why I am in Paris. 
  40. I'm sorry I can't hear what you (say) _________ because everybody (talk) _________ so loudly. 

Exercise 3  (30 marks)

Using the words in parentheses, complete the text below with the appropriate tenses


A Trekking Journal

November 12, 1997

Today (be) _________ the second day of my trek around Mount Annapurna. I (be) _________ exhausted and my legs (shake) _________ ; I (wish) _________ I am able to complete the trek. My feet (kill, really) _________ me and my toes (bleed) , but I (want, still) _________ to continue.

Nepal is a fascinating country, but I (have) _________ a great deal to learn. Everything (be) _________ so different, and I (try) _________ to adapt to the new way of life here. I (learn) _________ a little bit of the language to make communication easier; unfortunately, I (learn, not) _________ foreign languages quickly. Although I (understand, not) _________ much yet, I (believe) _________ that I (improve, gradually) _________.

I (travel, currently) _________ with Liam, a student from Leeds University in England. He (be) _________ a nice guy, but impatient. He (walk, always) _________ ahead of me and (complain) _________ that I am too slow. I (do) _________ my best to keep up with him, but he is younger and stronger than I am. Maybe, I am just feeling sorry for myself because I (get old) _________.

Right now, Liam (sit) _________ with the owner of the inn. They (discuss) _________ the differences between life in England and life in Nepal. I (know, not) _________ the real name of the owner, but everybody (call, just) _________ him Tam. Tam (speak) _________ English very well and he (try) _________ to teach Liam some words in Nepali. Every time Tam (say) _________ a new word, Liam (try)  _________ to repeat it. Unfortunately, Liam (seem, also) _________ to have difficulty learning foreign languages. I just hope we (get lost, not) _________ and have to ask for directions.


Exercise 4  (20 marks)

Place the correct verbs and tenses into the blanks:

stand // play // sleep // go // listen // sit // have // work // come // speak

  • Ann ___________ to school, but today she has a day off.
  • Look at Liz. She ___________ in the corner because she is in trouble.
  • A: What is your job? // B: I ___________ in a hospital.
  • How many languages does she ___________?
  • What toy is the kid ___________ right now?
  • Excuse me! I think you ___________ at my desk.
  • How does he ___________ to work? He always takes the bus.
  • Are the Williams ___________ lunch at the hotel this evening?
  • Teacher: Daniel,  you  ___________ to me? I am explaining an important subject now!!!
  • I’m so tired! The baby never ___________ at night.




No comments:

Post a Comment